My project consists of 3 main components, a distance sensor, buzzer, and a button. These 3 combine a road runner free security system that will ensure the safety of all your family and ACME dynamite. Initially, the system is in idle mode. Once the system is activated, the sensor will be searching for a distance greater than 5 centimeters, once that distance has been breached, a buzzer will sound off that will scare away any intruder. After the sensor is breached and the buzzer is sounding, the only way to stop the alarm is to press the button again. At the same time, a message will be sent to the user via GroupMe indicating a change in status of sensor.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, my chip that was responsible for measuring my distance has shorted out so I've had to make the following changes to my project. Now my "sensor" will be replaced by a single button and the user will be able to toggle the button in order to simulate changes in distanced sensed. The button will have the same functionality of the distance sensor, only it'll be without an actual sensing. Initially, the system will remain idle until the first push of the button. After that, the system will be actively "sensing" for changed in measurement. The next push of the button will indicate that a change in measurement has been observed. At this point the buzzer will sound off and the user will receive a text message indicating that change. The final push of the button will turn the system off and it will re-enter idle mode and remain there until the user wants to start the search again.

Project slides

Youtube link on how my system works